Saturday, December 31, 2011

Christmas in Seattle

I spent the week before our flight to Seattle in a state of stress delicately tinged with panic.  I even started dreaming of entire flights of people that sit glaring as I try to comfort a hysterical Colby.  The fact I was bringing my three week baby into a crowded area, filled with potentially sick people, just added to the feeling of anxiety setting up camp in the pit of my stomach.
Fortunately my fears were worse than the actual experience.  Colby did holler through the security checks, but just motivated everyone to get us through as quickly as possible.  Once on the plane, he fell asleep and remained that way for the duration of the flight.
Then we had two glorious weeks filled with puzzles, reading, sleeping-in, exploring, door-bell ditching, texting (on Jory's part...he just started dating this amazing girl named Emily a week before break), basketball games, movies, and lots and lots of admiring the miracle that is my son.
Christmas Eve Jory and I set out our traditional eggnog, candy cane bread, and cheese (the cheese was added the year this commercial aired).  And since Santa seems a little more health conscious than in previous years, we added some roughage for good measure. 
We had plans to reenact the nativity, but Colby wasn't in a Christ-like mood, so after we got that boy to bed we snuggled up on the couch to watch It's a Wonderful Life.  It's a Hays family tradition that I love.  It's a beautiful reminder to me of what's really important in life.  And like always, I blubbered at the end.  Is it possible to feel overwhelmed with blessings?  

Colby woke me up in the early hours of Christmas day and after settling into our chair, I read him the Christmas story.  He won't remember it, but I know I will.  Holding Colby in the peace and quiet of morning is the closest I've ever felt to that "silent night" so long ago.

The following pictures are random snippets from our trip:
The Christmas Feast
We eventually gave up on our puzzle after we all got frustrated with the mass of gray, green, blue stuff above the town (Dad's hiding the part we didn't get to :) ).
Part of our Christmas present were tickets to see "Annie Get Your Gun" with complementary childcare.  I loved it and even Robb, who usually doesn't join me on the musical bandwagon, thought it was amazing.
Grandma Rigby snuggling with the Colbs.
Grandpa Rigby showing us the famous football hold (which he perfected during my infancy).
Colby with his pilot's wings  
Colby's present from us.  
Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment