Saturday, March 31, 2018

To Claire on her 2nd Birthday


:: Happy birthday, Baby-Girl!
I need to stop calling you baby (apparently I do it so much that you refer to yourself as that in pictures) because any day now, Emmett will take over the title and you will be promoted to big sister.
You are a light, Claire. You brighten everything and everyone you come in contact with. I see it in our home and when we come in contact with random strangers. You smile and wave and suddenly their faces light up, reflecting that same glow inside of you.
You love to help and to share. We got you a set of cleaning gloves for your birthday because you're always sneaking a sponge away to help me clean the bathrooms and you're not happy when I take it back (same goes for unloading glass dishes in the morning and your little hands are always helping mine to push the vacuum or bake). You love to keep us all hydrated by collecting and passing out our water bottles. And every week at Alice's ballet practice I find a group of small kids around you as you pass out your goldfish crackers from your snack cup. I love your generous nature--how you are willing give things up to bring happiness to others.
You have a radar for identifying sadness. You tell me when people are sad in books, when your siblings are upset, or when you hear disappointment from someone walking by. I think it's because at the tender age of two you've decided your mission on earth is to "lift the hands that hang down and strengthen the feeble knees" (D&C 81:5). And you do. You understand the power of hugs and smiles and how simple gestures (like bringing Alice her blanket or Colby his monkey) can go a long way toward making someone feel better.
You are so loved, little girl. We love your awesome dance moves and your dinosaur chases (where you pretend to be scary and munch on our legs). We love how delightfully girly you are--how you love to dress up and steal my shoes. We love your frequent hugs and kisses. We love your petiteness (Daddy likes to call you "bite-sized"), your strawberry golden hair, and your hazel eyes. We love how much you love books (although I think we'd love it more if you figured out how to put them away as well).

I am so grateful you are mine.

I love you, Claire Bear!
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment